(DailyTreasure.com) – Staying connected is crucial in today’s world to ensure no one misses out on everyday tasks and opportunities. The Lifeline program helps low-income individuals and families get affordable internet or telephone service. It ensures everyone can access reliable connectivity services and connect with family, jobs, and emergency services.
Keep reading to learn more about the Lifeline program, its benefits, eligibility, and how to apply.
What is the Lifeline Program?
The Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) provides the Lifeline program. It is part of their Universal Service Fund, available to low-income individuals and families in all states. The Lifeline program provides discounts on monthly internet and phone services. Qualified subscribers receive reduced rates for their internet services and phone bills, making communication more accessible and affordable.
How the Program Works
Lifeline offers eligible low-income subscribers a monthly service discount of up to $9.25. Individuals living on Tribal lands receive a monthly discount of up to $34.25. The discount applies to a wireless or wireline service, and the subscriber cannot get a discount on both services. The Lifeline program also supports broadband Internet and voice bundle services. However, FCC rules allow only one Lifeline benefit per household. A subscriber receiving more than one should de-enroll from the other Lifeline services.
Eligibility for the Lifeline Program
The Lifeline program has specific eligibility benchmarks to ensure fairness and help prioritize people with the greatest need. Here are the consumers who can benefit from the program.
- A household with an income at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. The Federal Government sets the percentage to ensure that even people below the poverty line also benefit from the program.
- A household receiving assistance from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
- A household receiving Social Security benefits and Medicaid.
- People who are benefiting from Federal Public House Assistance.
- Individuals who receive Federal tribal benefits
- People who currently receive funds from either the Veterans or Survivors Pension Benefit.
How to Apply for the Lifeline Program?
A person can apply for the Lifeline program through the National Verifier application system and access the service through the USAC or a Lifeline-approved internet provider. The National Verifier system checks the applicants’ eligibility and recertifies the subscribers’ eligibility annually. USAC runs the system and is available through the National Verifier portal. Applicants can also have the application mailed by contacting Lifeline at [email protected] or their support center at (800) 234-9473.
Benefits of the Lifeline Program
Lifeline keeps people connected to what matters most and creates avenues for affordable information services and telecommunications.
Some of its benefits include:
- Job hunting: Online job hunting can help low-income households to increase their earning potential. Many jobs have online applications, and people can apply using internet resources like Google, LinkedIn, or Craigslist.
- Educational resources: With internet access, students can access online educational resources to facilitate learning and skills development.
- Friends and family: Affordable internet and telephone service helps people stay in touch with family and friends. This is good for their overall quality of life and mental health.
- Emergency services: Access to the police, fire department, and ambulances require a phone. The ability to make a phone call can save someone’s life.
- Telehealth: New developments in telehealth make it easy for people with phones to connect to the internet to get better medical care at lower costs. A phone is also essential to get to health services, especially if someone in the family is sick.
Trouble Staying Connected? Check Out the Lifeline Program
The Lifeline program is becoming increasingly important as the digital world expands. It ensures widespread connectivity in many households and paves the road to a more connected future.
Copyright 2023, DailyTreasure.com